The National Center for Collaboration in Medical Modeling and Simulation (NCCMMS), located in Norfolk, VA, is a research center dedicated to improving patient care by advancing the quality and quantity of medical modeling and simulation-based training and education available to healthcare students and practitioners by developing new technologies through active collaboration with industry and academic partners.
NCCMMS was formally established by the United States Congress in 2001 as a joint progam between Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS) and Old Dominion University (ODU). Currently, it is led by Don Combs, Ph.D., Vice President and Dean of the School of Health Professions at EVMS and managed by Bob Armstrong, Program Director.
The NCCMMS partners with the American College of Surgeons (ACS) to bring the Medical Modeling & Simulation Database (MMSD) to the public. The MMSD is a searchable collection of research citations and organizational presence in the medical modeling and simulation domain. Currently, the collection of publications represent a filtered selection from PubMed.
The NCCMMS will be a national leader in, and Hampton Roads will be a recognized region for, medical modeling and simulation collaboration and development.
- Develop simulation-based technologies that impart efficient and effective learning, support certification in new procedures, and support periodic recertification requirements to improve the training and education of health care professionals.
- Develop simulation-based technologies to improve patient care.
- Develop and employ medical modeling and simulation standards to foster cost effective products and prevent duplication.
- Develop a cadre of trained medical and health care simulation specialists to further domain expertise.
- Collaborate with medical and health care licensing bodies regarding the proper use of simulation in teaching, training, and certification.
Read more about NCCMMS collaborations and accomplishments.
WHO WE ARE
C. Donald Combs, Ph.D.
Mark Scerbo, Ph.D.
Andrew Cross, MBA